Sunday, April 20, 2008

Few and Far Between

My mother and I fight. Constantly. About everything. However, lately I've been getting this kind of vibe from her:

Whereas I've been getting this kind of vibe from my dad:


Please note my less-than-amused expression. If there was audio associated with this clip it would sound something like "OK, dad, it's 8am in New York in January and we've just gotten back from two weeks in the Caribbean putting up with your picture taking. It's not that I don't appreciate the lasting memories, but perhaps now is not the time."

Really, it's just one thing after another with these people. First they want me to do well in school and then suddenly they're curious as to why I'm not having "fun". The quotation marks are because I'm sure that my parents' definition of "fun" and mine are significantly different. Currently, my idea of "fun" would be residing somewhere else (preferably another country) and not worrying about school. Alas. Really, though, why does this whole degree thing have to be so integral to societal success. How awesome would it be if we could resurrect a 1950s society where they men were men and the women were pretty? It wouldn't be so awful...

I wonder sometimes how I would have turned out if I had parents who were a little less paranoid about my safety and success and a little more willing to let me make my own mistakes. Chances are, the mistakes I'd make wouldn't be so awful. Of course, I also wonder about how I would have turned out if I hadn't been adopted and had been raised by my birth mother. That path of wondering takes me somewhere significantly less pleasant so I tend not to wander down that one too often.

At this point in the post I'm tempted to wrap it up by charmingly relenting and conceding how much I really love my parents and I know they just want wonderful things for me. Granted, it's true. But, Jesus, I'm annoyed. Naturally, I'm ignoring all the blame that I ought to be shouldering in the examination of this annoyance. But what are blogs for, after all, if one can't be self-centered and unreasonable?

No comments: