Thursday, April 17, 2008

Masquerade!


Had dinner with my parents the other night after seeing Phantom of the Opera at the Orpheum. Amazing show. The Orpheum’s gorgeous house just added to the whole experience. While perusing the deserts, one of the (female) employees came up to me and told me how much she loved my glasses and hair and outfit and everything! It was a little overwhelming. She might have been hitting on me. I thanked her and sat back down. Then, as we were about to leave, I had this conversation:

Tall Scruffy Woman: I saw you earlier and just wanted to say that you look wonderful.
Cady: Thank you so much!
TSW: You know, you’re tall like me…
Cady: isn’t it great?
TSW: Yeah, but I can’t get skinny like you.
Cady(what do you say to that?): hahaha…
TSW: Got any kids?
Cady (horrified): Oh God no! I’m only 21.
TSW (in a conversational and possibly too personal tone): I got pregnant with my boy when I was 20 and had him when I was your age. And you know, he’s so tall…he’s probably about 3 inches taller than me. And he’s got this curly hair. People ask me all the time if he’s half black. He’s white as milk, but people think he’s half black!

(At this point, her totally sketchy husband/boyfriend was clearly getting impatient to go and said her name in a very “get over here, woman!” sort of tone. We all ignored him. She continued to tell me all sorts of things I didn’t care to know about her life…)

TSW: Well, I gotta go, but I just wanted to tell you how nice you look.

My mother, quite correctly, pointed out that in Council Bluffs you’re either in high school or married and having kids. Uck. What a life. There’s so much to do before getting married. If I get married. That’s a post for another day, though.

No comments: