Sunday, April 20, 2008

Selah Saterstrom reading

Thursday’s reading by Selah Saterstrom was definitely interesting. In comparison to the other two authors, she seemed a little bit less dynamic. That being said, her writing is definitely pretty solid. She had a few lines, though, that left me puzzled. “Boredom, when identified, leads to new opportunities” is one such line. It sounds good and profound, but what does it mean? Under what circumstances does identified boredom lead to opportunity. I often sit around bored, really just looking for opportunities and finding none. Perhaps I’m not looking hard enough. Or perhaps I’m looking too hard. Maybe the real trick with opportunity is not to track it down, but to recognize it when it comes to you. Admittedly, I’m spectacularly lacking in life experience, so I guess I’ll just have to see if opportunistic boredom is something that comes with age. Is it the quiet desperation that Thoreau talked about that leads to being able to shape boredom into something life changing. But what if one doesn’t want their life changed? What if they just want a little excitement, a little difference. I think that’s why women shop so much. God knows that when I feel down, there’s nothing that picks me up like a high-waisted pencil skirt and a new pair of killer stilettos. Take yesterday, for example. That self-same pencil skirt is looking super hot hanging in my closet right now, but that euphoria of possibility has, sadly, already worn off. So I’m back to boredom and out a good chunk of money. And completely lacking in motivation just like always, but after writing this I’m depressed about it as well. Where comes the point when boredom relents to something better? Wouldn’t it be lovely to find something in your life that would be truly satisfying? Jesus, talk about your aimless stream of consciousness posts.

No comments: